The biggest question we came across every start of the year is: how to live a happier and healthier life compared to the previous year.
Why not start with self care?
What is self care, you ask? Well, self care is anything that you do to take care of your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being. It can be as simple as taking a nap, reading a book, or listening to your favorite music. Or it can be more elaborate, like going for a massage, taking a yoga class, or booking a trip to somewhere you’ve always wanted to go.
Why is self care important? Because you deserve it!
You are a valuable and worthy person, and you deserve to treat yourself with kindness and respect.
Self care is not selfish or indulgent; it’s necessary and beneficial. When you take care of yourself, you are more able to take care of others. You are more productive, creative, and resilient. You are more happy and fulfilled.
How can you practice self care? There is no one right way to do it. It depends on your personality, preferences, and needs.
But here are some general guidelines that can help you get started:
- Make self care a priority. Schedule some time every day, or at least every week, to do something that makes you feel good. Don’t let other obligations or distractions get in the way of your self care. Remember, you can’t pour from an empty cup.
- Be mindful of your needs. Pay attention to how you feel physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. What do you need right now? Do you need rest, stimulation, comfort, challenge, connection, or something else? Listen to your body and your intuition, and honor your needs.
- Be gentle with yourself. Don’t judge yourself harshly for what you do or don’t do for your self care. Don’t compare yourself to others or to unrealistic standards. Don’t feel guilty for taking time for yourself. You are doing the best you can, and that’s enough.
- Experiment with different activities. There are so many ways to practice self care, and you might not know what works for you until you try it. Explore different options and see what makes you feel good. You might discover a new hobby, passion, or talent along the way.
- Have fun. Self care should not be a chore or a burden; it should be enjoyable and rewarding. Find ways to make your self care fun and exciting. Invite a friend to join you, add some music or candles, or try something new and adventurous.
Be inspired to practice more self care in your life from here on.
Remember, you are worth it!